Kale Caesar

Tried this salad a few months ago and I have been eating it almost everyday since. The dressing is just so addictive! It came from my favorite food blog...Hot For Food. They use it on their Vegan Chop Salad. Only changes I made was removing the parsley and dill then adding some coriander powder. I renamed it Caesar dressing because my friends said that's what it tastes like. I don't actually have this salad with vegan bacon bits or croutons. I just added them to the ingredient list for those wanting to make a more tradition Caesar Salad. I keep it simple - just kale, chopped cucumbers and green onions.

I know Hot for Food has 2 Caesar dressings on their blog. One that's made with tofu and the other with cashews. That's why I like this dressing its not made with either. Its great for people with a sensitively to soy and don't get me started on how expensive cashews are. I don't even look at recipes now that call for them. 

red kale, chopped into ribbons or shreds
juice from 1/2 a small lemon or lime juice 
pinch of sea salt

romaine lettuce, chopped or mixed greens
cucumber, chopped
green onions, chopped
tofu or coconut bacon bits
croutons, gluten free
Caesar dressing (recipe below)


In a large bowl add kale. Sprinkle lemon juice and salt over kale. Massage them into the kale. Let sit for 15 minutes until the kale has softened and wilted (this process removes the bitterness from the kale).

In the meantime you can make the dressing. Add rest of the salad ingredients to the large bowl with the kale, add some dressing and mix well. You will have left over dressing, store in fridge up to 7 days.


Caesar Dressing

1/2 cup olive oil (or any light tasting oil not extra virgin olive oil)
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup nutritional yeast*
1/4 cup hemp hearts*
2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp coriander powder
1/4 tsp sea salt


Combine all the dressing ingredients in blender or food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to assemble salad.

 





















*You can buy hemp hearts and nutritional yeast at most supermarkets or
at health food stores. I keep both of them in the freezer. 

I buy the PC brand hemp hearts, 800g for $15.00 at Fontinos supermarket. Saw Manitoba brand hemp hearts, 454g for $13.99 at a health food store. So don't over pay for them, shop around because health food stores might not be your best option. You can also buy Bob's Red Mill brand nutritional yeast at Fontinos supermarket.