Crabless Cakes (Soy Free)


Since my husband has a sensitivity to soy I could no longer make my wonderful
 



So I set out to find a different recipe that we could have. Then I came upon a crabless cake recipe that tasted GREAT, held together well and these were less time consuming to make then my previous posted crabless cakes.


I kept all the ingredients the same but it was missing the most important thing… the actual seafood flavor. That was easily remedied by adding ground nori seaweed sheets. When I make this recipe I double it and freeze half of the cooked crabless cakes.  Please read important notes at the bottom of this post. I’m sure this recipe will become a favorite of yours too!


Crab Cakes:

1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas, drained, rinsed and mashed
1 can (19 oz) artichoke hearts (not in marinade), drained and chopped
1 cup COOKED brown rice
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp chickpea flour
1/4 cup nori seaweed, ground (use a coffee grinder)
1 Tbsp Old Bay seasoning (find at Metro supermarket in the seafood section)

Batter:
 
2 Tbsp chickpea flour & 1/4 cup cornmeal mixed together
vegetable oil (for frying) or cook in oven*


Tartar Sauce:

1 cup vegan mayo (for soy free use soy free vegenaise)
1/4 cup relish
2 tsp wet mustard


In a small bowl; mix all ingredients the tartar sauce ingredients together. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving. It tastes better the longer you let the flavor's marinade.

In a large bowl add mashed chickpeas with the rest of the crab cake ingredients. Use your hands to mash the squeeze it. Heat vegetable oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.  Take 1/4 cup of the artichoke mixture and form a round thick patty with your hands. Place the crab cake in the chickpea flour/cornmeal and coat both sides evenly. Heat oil in large frying pan. Add breaded crabless cakes and cook on both sides. Serve immediately with tartar sauce or seafood cocktail sauce.  Leftovers can be refrigerated in airtight containers for 3 to 4 days or put in freezer.  Makes 9 crabless cakes. Size 2 1/2 inches round.

*Oven Method: Although I have never tried cooking these crabless cakes in the oven I did read on the Keeping It Kind blog in the comment section that someone had done it the following way…. oven at 400 F, 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.


Important Notes:

Do not taste the crabless cakes before cooking because all you will taste is the Nori seaweed and you will think it’s not going to turn out. The strong seaweed tastes mellows during the cooking process. Once you add tartar sauce on top of the finished crabless cakes they will have the perfect flavor.

I always buy T & T brand sushi nori available at Fortinos supermarket. I have tried a few other brands when I was not able to get the T & T brand and they had very little flavor to them. I’m sure the brand I buy is not the only brand that is good but I just wanted to mention this in case you make this and it does not have a nice seafood flavor it would be because of that.