Broccoli, Spinach, Garlic Hummus Lasagna (soy-free)


UPDATE: I originally had one cup of Daiya mozzarella cheese shreds added to this recipe but recently I made this lasagna and forgot to put in the cheese. The taste and texture was the exact same. So I have since removed that ingredient from this recipe. 

This recipe is on my all time favorites list!!!!!

For the picture above I used 4 layers just because it looked nicer. This is the size of lasagna portion I would love to eat.... lol. In reality I make it using only 2 layers just like in the original recipe.

I had stopped making lasagna a long time ago. I just found making it too labor intensive. Then I stumbled upon this recipe (the link above). It tastes GREAT and it's easy and doesn't take too long to make especially if you use frozen broccoli and spinach.  I found out my guy has a soy sensitivity problem. The first thing that went through my head was that we were going to have to give up this wonderful lasagna....grrr. I decided to try swapping out the 2 cups (1 pound) of extra tofu used in the original recipe and in its place I added 1 cup of cashew cream. It freezes well too. If you're going to stick with using the tofu version (which is cheaper) you don't need to press the tofu like the recipe calls for. I forgot to press it one time when I made it and I never noticed any texture difference.

I have to admit I had some serious reservations about using the garlic hummus because my guy is not a big garlic fan. I decide to throw caution to the wind and follow the original recipe amount except I removed the garlic chunks in the center of the hummus container and only used the blended part and it was not over garlicky at all!

I also, used 2 1/2 cups broccoli not just because it tastes great but adding the broccoli bulked it up since it was going to be missing the firmer texture of the tofu.


6 lasagna noodles (gluten-free)*
 
2 cups broccoli florets fresh or frozen (thawed)
  chopped into smaller pieces, cooked
1 cup cashew cream*
1/2 cup garlic hummus *(see note)
1/2 cup chopped spinach, frozen, thawed, water squeezed out
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil

1 26 oz jar of marinara sauce (I use spicy pasta sauce)


Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook your lasagna noodles according to package directions until they're a bit underdone (mine took about 6-8 minutes).

In large bowl add the broccoli, cashew cream, hummus, nutritional yeast, spinach, salt and basil. Using your hands, mix ingredients together until a creamy, ricotta-like texture is achieved.

In a 7" by 11" baking dish, pour in enough sauce to cover the bottom. Layer 3 lasagna noodles on top. Top the noodles with enough broccoli mixture to cover evenly (leave enough to repeat again). Add some pasta sauce, then noodles again, then more broccoli mixture. Finally pour over the rest of the pasta sauce. It's ok if it looks like a lot of sauce! Bake for 30 minutes and enjoy! Serves 6

 
*To make cashew cream.....just add cashews to a bowl filled with boiling water. Wait for 20 minutes or more. Drained then add to a food processor. Slowly add some water and blend. Stop occasionally and with a soft spatula scrap down the sides and continue to add water till it has the texture of a thick cream.
 
*Scoop out the chopped garlic in the center of the hummus and only use the blend part.

*I cook 9 lasagna noodles because some of them after they are cooked end up tearing.