Lentil and Mushroom Sloppy Joes

 
I tried the Mushroom Sloppy Joes recipe from the Restless Palate.

They were really good but I then I thought I would decrease the mushrooms and add lentils. I also, changed the ingredient amounts and of course I had to add my favorite ingredient...chipotle powder. The results were great! I'm not a huge fan of green peppers but in sloppy joes, there a must add ingredient.

These make a nice alternative to veggie burgers and veggie hotdogs during barbeque time.  Don't forget to toast your buns on the barbeque. These are also great with melted vegan cheese on top such as the Daiya cheddar slices...yum! There not very sloppy, the neat freak in me just couldn't do that...lol

 

1/2 cup lentils
 
1 tsp olive oil
3 cups mushrooms, sliced
1 cup green peppers, chopped
1/2 cup onion, small chopped
3 cloves garlic, grated
 
3/4 cup tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 Tbsp soy sauce (gluten free)
1 Tbsp grainy mustard
1 tsp maple syrup
3/4 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp chipotle powder 


6 toasted hamburger buns or bread (gluten free)
vegan cheese (optional)

 
Put the lentils in a medium pot with 3 cups water. Cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, until lentils are tender. Drain and set aside.

Heat a large pot over medium heat. Sauté the mushrooms, pepper and onion in the oil for about 10 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté a minute more. Add tomato paste, water, soy sauce, mustard, maple syrup, smoked paprika, chipotle powder and cooked lentils.  Cook for about 10 minutes.  Pour sloppy joe mixture onto each bun. If your adding cheese then put that on top and heat in the oven or on the grill till cheese has melted. Serves 6