Southwestern Bean and Tofu Scramble

 
This dish has so much flavor that when I asked my guy if he wanted hot sauce or ketchup for it he said no it's good just as it is. This is a high compliment for him.
 
I feel like the person that wrote this recipe. I wasn’t really impressed by tofu scrambled recipes I made in the past. I do have one that I posted on my blog that was pretty good but I like this one way better. What’s not to love…it’s inexpensive, easy and quick to make. Oh and it's healthy too!

I did make a lot of alterations to the recipe based my personal taste but the credit goes to Morgan for coming up with the original recipe. I think just adding black beans to tofu scramble alone is genius! (yes I get impressed very easily…lol)

I omitted the celery, carrots and corn. I didn’t serve it over potatoes which I think is a great idea it’s just that I try to limit how often my guy eats white potatoes. Instead of adding 2 roma tomatoes I added one can of chili seasoning diced tomatoes (that was suggested by someone in the comments section on her page). I love the smoky flavor of chipotle chili powder so much I had to add 1/4 tsp of that instead of a pinch of cayenne powder. Black salt instead of regular salt. Finally, 2 cloves of garlic instead of 1.


2 Tbsp olive oil
1/3 cup red onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced

1 block of extra firm tofu, crumbled by hand
1 19 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed (2 cups)
1 1/2 tsp salt or black salt*
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/4 tsp chipotle chili powder
freshly ground black pepper

1 can diced tomatoes with chili seasonings, loosely drained
5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
1 1/2 Tbsp prepared mustard (wet)
1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chives or green onions (optional) 


In a large frying pan skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion. Sauté for about 7 minutes until softened. Add the garlic; cook for 1 minute.

Add tofu, black beans, salt, cumin, paprika and chipotle powder in the frying pan. Sauté for 3 minutes to incorporate the spices well and gently cook the beans and tofu.

Add diced tomatoes, nutritional yeast, mustard and cilantro, and stir to incorporate. Taste and add any additional salt and pepper if needed. Tastes great with some hot sauce on top. Serves 4. 

*Black salt can be found in Indian grocery stores or online.