Carrot Cake Oatmeal

   
This oatmeal recipe is delicious and super healthy!
 
1/2 cup large rolled oats (certified gluten-free)
2/3 cup vanilla almond milk or more  
1/2 cup carrot, grated
2 Tbsp raisins
2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 -1/2 tsp nutmeg*(see note below)
chopped walnuts (optional topping)
maple syrup or brown sugar (Redpath is vegan) if needed


Stir all ingredients making sure everything is soaked by the liquid in a small pot. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer 6 minutes, stirring occasionally. Top with walnuts, if using. Serve immediately. 


*I always use 1/2 tsp of nutmeg but when I was at my mothers home I made this for her and I found that her nutmeg was way stronger than mine so it ended up over powering the whole thing. I only use a pinch of hers in this recipe. So you might want to start off with just a pinch and increase the amount as needed.