Eggless Salad Spread

I had this recipe on an old recipe blog of mine. I was waiting to post it on this blog when I had a better picture but dame it just tastes so good I can't wait any longer. Mother's day is around the corner and egg laying chickens have hellish lives. So please make this recipe for any one that still consumes eggs.

This recipe comes from the cookbook refresh. It's called House Mayo. From the minute I tried it it reminded me of how egg salad used to taste. So I changed the tofu they used in the original recipe to a firmer one so it would be a more thicker type spread and added less liquid. The recipe calls for 1 1/2 cups onion, chopped I know that sounds like a large amount, but it is correct because I have double this recipe.

UPDATE: I like just spreading it onto just one piece of toasted bread and then add the fixings instead of making it like a sandwich. I find I get to enjoy more of the spread and it's less messy too. I love this so much!


1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1/2 cup vegetable stock
2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1 1/2 tsp garlic, minced
1/2 tsp mixed dry herbs * see below for recipe
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp fresh ground pepper

2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
1 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce (gluten-free)
 
100 ml safflower or any light tasting oil (NOT extra virgin oil)
1 package of extra firm tofu (350 grams), chopped
 

Combine onion, vegetable stock, red wine vinegar, garlic, dry herbs, nutmeg and pepper in a frying pan and cook over medium heat until liquid has evaporated, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

Combine the above onion mixture, apple cider vinegar, mustard, sugar, tamari, oil and tofu in a food processor and blend until totally smooth. If you don't have a food processor you can do it in a blender by putting in about half the tofu at a time then blending it then adding the rest. Stop occasionally and using a knife stir the mixture in blender.

Once well blended; pour into storage container and chill in the refrigerator. Once chilled spread a good amount over your favorite toasted, gluten free bread then add black salt, a good amount of freshly ground pepper and top with chopped iceberg lettuce. Yum!

*Black Salt or Himalayan Pink Salt is sold in Indian stores. It has a sulfur type taste. Sprinkle on any vegan egg dish to make it have an even more authentic egg taste. 


Mixed Dry Herbs

1 tsp tarragon
1 tsp sage
1 tsp basil
1 tsp thyme

I make a big batch of this herb blend and store it in the freezer, in a spice jar. It save's time for when you make it again and you will be doing that!
 
It's great as a salad!


Why would anyone choose to eat eggs once they see how these poor animals are treated!