Laura’s Bean Quesadillas

 
Made with one of the best homemade vegan cheese sauces around!

Sid, my friend tweaked my vegan nacho sauce by adding salsa along with some chili powder and this wonderful vegan cheese sauce was born! Sid's non vegan friends said they thought it tasted like cheese. Then I used it to create my own quesadilla. I have been addicted to eating this ever since I first tried it. Seriously, you have to try it! Here is a picture she took of our creation...
 

Vegan Cheesy Sauce

1/4 cup nutritional yeast flakes (not brewers yeast)
1/4 cup rice flour

1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp chill powder
3/4 cup cold water (mixed with 1 tsp cornstarch)


2 Tbsp ketchup
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 Tbsp medium salsa
1/4 tsp prepared mustard (wet)

Also…
gluten free wraps or pitas (small)*
kidney beans, drained and rinsed
Diana’s Spicy Southwest Chipotle marinade*


Mix dry ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk in water. Cook over medium heat while whisking until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Whip in coconut oil, salsa, ketchup and mustard. Put aside.

On one side of the wrap spread some cheese sauce. Then add a layer of the kidney beans on top. Close tortilla. Heat a frying pan over medium heat; add a little coconut oil to a pan and put tortilla on melted oil and flip over to coat the other side. Fry till brown and crispy. If using a pita just slice pita in half and add cheese sauce then kidney beans then cook.

Remove from heat open up tortilla and add a thin layer of the marinade sauce. Close wrap or pita and enjoy!



* I now use pita bread instead of wraps when I make these because that's what's available to me now. I get them at Longos Supermarket. The brand I buy is Aidan's , all of their gluten free bread products are amazing!

* The marinade really makes this quesadilla. It's strange that their best tasting marinade is the hardest to find. It's not found any of the grocery stores, I gone to (I live in Canada). It is available at some Walmart stores. First I check online to see what Walmart stores in my area have it in stock. Then I go down and buy as many as I they have in stock. My biggest buy was 13 bottles! What can I say...I really love this sauce!